Sunday, May 5, 2013

Session 5_ Our roles and application of the 11 step process


My role in the activity was to 1) pick the approach LOT will use to meet each objective; which we applied to both the course itself and to the weekly activities, and 2) determine the teaching sequence of our objectives; which we took from the provided syllabus. I found this all very interesting; there never seemed to be just one approach, or just one sequence; I think it is because we chose to design this course as a hybrid. Upon collaboration with teammates, we all determined that these were accurate to our design plan.

Wow! Our team worked very hard to get this assignment together. Several people attended the first Skype meeting with Dr. Hunziger (AKA Dr. Newberry). This was very helpful in areas where there was confusion as to the direction we would take various areas. We successfully collaborated in several different ways, sometimes as a group and other times individually via email, texts and phone calls.

Nicole has been an awesome primary. She has explained that this is a new area for her, and I can say that you cannot tell. She has stepped in and taken charge like a real pro. Immediately after the Skype meeting with Dr. Hunziger, she arranged for a group Skype meeting the very next day; she later set up more Skype meetings and due dates. At one point we all seemed a bit confused, she called one last Skype the very next morning. She also took on the responsibility of creating the Google doc that we used for collaborating our tasks, editing the doc into a great final draft and submitting it to the professor.

Laura was her right hand- or that’s the way I saw it. She was so very helpful to everyone. Although she had to catch a flight the next morning, she attended the first Skype with Dr. Hunziger and diligently began working on our project late into that night. She also met and communicated with the group regularly, despite the time difference. I know other people needed help with some clarification on their parts and she stepped in and met with them via Skype, email and texting. That was so awesome. And personally, I sent her my part and she offered great comments and considerations.

Everyone else attended regularly and shared ideas and help via email throughout the whole process. I can say I have emailed back and forth with nearly every member. We had a new member add and we were quite concerned as we had not spoken with her, but she stepped in a provided great contribution to the project. Every team member met deadlines and attended meetings (except with legitimate reasons).

When it comes to my thoughts on the instructional design process, specifically in light of this project, I am not a fan. I am speaking specifically about the 11 step process. It seemed like a great thing when I first read it (remember- I have 0 experience in this area) but as we applied it to the project, we found it to be very repetitious. I thought it was just me, but as I was writing my portion, I felt like I was repeating things I had already read. But, we are presenting it to an instructor who needs to be sold on the idea, as he is comfortable and set in his ways.

Designing an educational course is nothing like I thought it was when coming into the class. I really thought it was just a matter of an instructor, basically, filling in a template with the stuff from his course/syllabus and boom- you’re done! Wow, was I wrong. Every step of the process relies on the previous step. In a team collaboration, that means relying on the person before you getting their part done, and done accurately, because you rely on their information to complete your own step.

I feel like I am learning so much more with every step we make. My team members not only offer such great insight, they also are very understanding in the fact that several of us are new and have no experience in this area of expertise. I admire that quality!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mc Cool Kat-- I like your insights on our group process. Also, I agree with your assessment of the 11-step process from Horton. It was a good experience becoming a functioning group that was focused on completing the task. Also, your comment about filling in a template for a online class was apropo. I think there are many professionals in education who have not been trained in online teaching that think the same. They have no idea that online teaching has its own set of best practices and pedagogy that changes as technology is more accessible and there is more research about what strategies are effective. My wondering lately is how the face of education will change in the next 20 years as people like Nicole (who is working on her online certificate with her credential) graduate with teaching credentials, and become decision making administrators. I suspect that online learning will ultimately have a powerful influence on education, not just incorporating technology, but also the planning of curriculum. Thanks for posting early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post and great discussion by Laura. The 11 step process the book presents is, as I stated, not may favorite. Still, it is a starting point and from that you can begin to develop your own approaches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wonder how online education will change in the next 20 years. I can remember when I took my first on line course 5 years ago and so much has change in a small amount of time when comparing to traditional face-to-face courses. The traditional face-to-face courses has not changed much over long periods of time. As new technologies are being created more and more interactive and critical thinking are required from online courses. I look forward to see how the changes occurs.

    ReplyDelete